Monday, June 22, 2009

Accomplishing Unfinished Business

When I wrote about my first trip down the Stafford Creek drainage here, http://tinyurl.com/stafford-creek, it was just a matter of time before I returned to finish what we glimpsed on our last trip: an additional 1.2 miles of trail dropping 1,000-feet.

I arrived back in the Teanaway in the early afternoon, and scored a nice camp spot near the trailhead. I gave the dogs time to run around, setting up camp and doing a final check on the bike. I pedaled off towards the trailhead at about 3:00.

I noticed a lot of cars in the parking lot and wondered if all these people were on my descent route. Well, it was late in the day and most of them would be out by the time I came screaming past. I rode all the trail I could and pushed through the gnarly rock gardens. At times I resorted to packing the bike on my back, which was actually easier than pushing. I kept moving higher, passing exiting hikers, wondering what this new stretch of trail would hold.

When I reached the junction, I took time to rest for a few minutes and look around. Within the tumbling roar of snowmelt-laden Stafford Creek, I could hear the lilting burble of small seasonal runoffs entering the trail. The day was sunny but cool, with a breeze that removed the sweat quickly and prevented me from really wanting to linger for very long. After a shot of energy gel, I moved off into unknown territory.

As I climbed, I studied the trail, looking back often to gauge lines of descent through certain obstacles. Surprisingly, I encountered two parties coming down the trail; we exchanged pleasantries and moved in our separation directions. The terrain began to flatten out, and I wondered if I was near the top. However, I did not feel the telltale breeze or see the mountains I expected to be able to see from the vantage point I was seeking. Upwards through a rock garden, the terrain revealed a neatly hidden alpine meadow about 1.5-acres in size. I heard voices, and saw a party camping at one end. My path skirted around the opposite side and upwards onto an open barren slope. At the top of this slope, I changed directions, crossed a small gully and climbed to the ridgetop.

From this pass, I could see the Stuart/Enchantment Range: McClellan Peak, Little Annapurna, Dragontail Peak, Colchuck Peak, Argonaut, and Sherpa. Mt. Stuart was mostly obscured by Sherpa Peak and clouds. I drank it in for 10 minutes and prepared for the descent.

Riding solo in alpine environments always brings with it an air of caution: the trail holds plenty of objective dangers, there is no one to rely on in case of injury, it is a long way to anywhere. I was glad I had decided to wear my T.H.E. full-face helmet, as it was going to be difficult to hold back in attacking this beautiful trail. Pushing off, the trail delivers right off the bat with a quick buff track, a short climb, and smooth fast hardpack interrupted by a few smooth turns before dropping into a technical rock garden. Shooting out along the meadow, I built up speed, took a hard righ-hander, scrubbed some speed into a left-hander and dropped into an alpine pinball machine.

The rest of the trail, down to the junction, was a mixture of rock gardens and buff alpine trail. A good time, for sure. After the junction, I pointed it downhill and enjoyed the sweet singletrack. I passed a few hikers and had to repair one flat, but it was a good ride.

No comments: